Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » The world of sheet steel sounds

Post subject: Hope to see one in real life :P
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:14 am

Like alot of people i'm looking for a true Hang.
But don't have the patience to wait 2 years for an instrument i never ever tested...
So i saw alot of video on youtube with Halo, hipi, bell and oscar.
Just to see what is my order option.
It hard to make a decision. Most of all use bad micro and can't really heard what the intrustment should be.
Halo sound like a metal can to me and always heard the tap of the hand like if you need to punch really hard on it to make sound.
Bell seem, to me, the best choice. I saw some video and don't have the metal can sound.

What that make me really mad is i can't test them. No one know that and i know no one around that have one.
I really like the sound and the way it being played. But buying something just by guessing...
Hope you guys can help me make a good choice or if you know another Hang maker company i'm open to.

see ya :)

Post subject: Re: Hope to see one in real life :P
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:13 am

Hallo Nervosa,

again welcome on the forum. Here are a lot of people from all over the world and maybe you find a hangplayer who can show you the hang in real. Good luck.

Nervosa wrote:
But don't have the patience to wait 2 years for an instrument i never ever tested...

If you write a letter to Panart you need patience. Nobody knows at the moment how long you must wait for an answer. But there is not a first come-first serve waiting list. You can send a letter to Panart and tell them, that you wish to play and own a Hang. But this is not to mistake as an order.
The best way for you is IMHO to collect informations. Here is a good place and also http://www.hangblog.org. There you find all informations about the Hang.

Nervosa wrote:
It hard to make a decision. Most of all use bad micro and can't really heard what the intrustment should be.
Halo sound like a metal can to me and always heard the tap of the hand like if you need to punch really hard on it to make sound.
Bell seem, to me, the best choice. I saw some video and don't have the metal can sound.

On Youtube you could only get an idea of the sound. You only listen to your computer speakers. I understand what you say about the Halo. It seems that a lot of player like this "metal sound". On the Hang you dont find this so intense.
The philosophy behind Hang and Halo and Bell is totally different. On this letter from Panart you find more informations about the ideas and goals of Panart.

http://www.hangblog.org/2009/11/21/lett ... mber-2009/

On this letter you could read: "The free-tuned Integral Hang is intended for individuals who yearn for balance and inner peace in a world that can be chaotic and unsettling..."

Ask yourself if this is what you are searching for.

Nervosa wrote:
Hope you guys can help me make a good choice or if you know another Hang maker company i'm open to.

I think after reading the letter from Panart you understand that there are no other "Hang maker companys".
Of course there are a few companys who build tongue drums and make promotion with words like "sound similar as the Hang".
This is easy to hear and see that they are not in the same category of instruments. Totally different technic and sound.
With Halo and Bell it is not so easy. They look very similar as the Hang.
You could play a Hang with a similar technic as the Halo or Bell.
Sadly on the internet a lot of people call the Hang a Hangdrum. This has created a ripple effect of misinformation.

So, what do you search? A Hang? A Handpan? A tongue drum?
If you find in one of this instruments fun and satisfaction, it is very nice.
You only must understand, that these are different things.

If you watch Youtube videos it is hard to understand. You find a lot of very early first generation Hanghang players. But these instrument you cant buy from Panart, because they are gone a lot of steps on the "Hangway".
I hope you have the chance to touch a second generation or Integral Hang some day. So you could find a "idea" how it feel to touch the Free Integral Hang. This is the only Hang you could ask for at the moment , if you wrote a letter to Panart.

Good luck.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:11 pm

Nervosa wrote:

What that make me really mad is i can't test them. No one know that and i know no one around that have one.
I really like the sound and the way it being played. But buying something just by guessing...

Nervosa, I own first & second generation hanghang. I love & cherish them & am blessed by them every day as I play. But I have also played a Halo & can say without reservation that it does not sound like a tin can. The Halo has a wonderful, magical , gentle sound & is rich & deep & fulfilling. I would be honored to own & play the Halo. Right now there are 4000 people on the Halo waiting list but Kyle Cox is working out a system to accommodate newcomers. I doubt that Frank has played a Halo yet, but I think he too would smile & like it. But Halo is not a Hang. And a Hang is not a Halo. They are 2 distinctly different animals, both wholly wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:05 am

god I hate computers... accidentally hit the wrong key on the mouse and all my post was lost... frustrating.

Anyway @ Nervosa, the HangOut here in the UK (www.hangoutuk.co.uk) is the ideal chance for any prospective Hang owner to come see, listen and even play Hang from all generations.

Most people at the event are accomodating with letting people play their Hang and there have been in the last 3 years Hang from every generation and from this years bookings I can see we already have a couple of FIH future owners coming, people who collect their Hang before September.

I also know of a couple of Hang owners who have recenly aquired a Halo will also be there so you would get the chance to see, hear and play a Halo for yourself, we also have a Hang, Halo and hapi drum owner coming so you'll get the chance to hear the hapi too.

As Saggio says though these are not Hang, they are different. The Halo is not trying to be a Hang its a completely different instrument, its like comparing a Guitar and a Banjo, they are stringed instruments but they're totally different in sound and general appearance.

Hapi or Hank drums are just tongue drums made from steel, the creator of the Hank only ever made it as a tongue drum with a distant but similar ring to some of the notes on a Hang but claimed no similarity. The ideas of the Hank were then quickly picked up by online folk who figured as they were so easy to make they'd cash i on the craze and unfortunately a lot of them try to con people by using the word Hang in their sales pitches on eBay... they are not Hang, nothing like a Hang and will never capture the soul like a Hang can.

Unfortunately I have not had the chance to see a Bell in real life.. i'm not sure many people have so cannot comment there, from what i've heard they do sound very melodic but audio can and does sound very different to real life.

Anyway check out the HangOut site and see what you think, if you're able to get across I think it will give you the insight you're looking for on what choice to make.

Regards,

Kelly

www.hangoutuk.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:58 am

HangOut, look like a nice hippy place :P I Like that.
But i will prolly not be able to go there. I work too much to take vacation :P

Anyway, i send a letter to request a Hang. So maybe in 3 or 5 years and 10 000 $ later i will own one :P In fact, i didnt really expect they put me on the "waitlist".
Ha, and i joined the waitlist for Halo too, they don'T produce anymore till spring 2010, so they should restart soon, i hope.
pantheonsteel.com/HowToPurchase.aspx

Here i put some link to the 3 drum i'm looking for. I tried to take 2 videos of each with the same quality to be sure to hear the comparaison. But on youtube that not always good.

But Halo seem to use lower note than Bell. Bell seem to be much more higher.
I am wrong ? Or maybe it just the way they playing it. Because i prefer deep note (lower). So maybe the halo more suitable for me.

Halo
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8zoStDk ... re=related
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Wd_mHd ... re=related

Bell
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiPndlEf ... re=related
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctLct-nM ... re=related

Hang
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6hAd8Pj-5E
2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Bm4sv5 ... re=related

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:35 am

Hallo Nervosa

Nervosa wrote:
Anyway, i send a letter to request a Hang. So maybe in 3 or 5 years and 10 000 $ later i will own one

The price for a Panart Hang is not 10000$. Do you read on the Hangblog the pages I recommended?

Nervosa wrote:
Ha, and i joined the waitlist for Halo too, they don'T produce anymore till spring 2010, so they should restart soon.

This is not correct. They build at the moment the Halos for the 250 people who are on the production list and payed last year a down-payment.
It seems, that they need longer as they thougt at the beginning for this batch.

Nervosa wrote:
Here i put some link to the 3 drum i'm looking for.

Again, ask yourself what you are search. Do you search for a "drum" as you wrote?
The Panart Hang is not a drum. The name "hangdrum" is only in the world, because people name the Hang on internet hangdrum. I think they do that, because people can find better results on google.
PANArt wrote also in the letter above, that the name Hangdrum is wrong and confuse the people.

I dont know, if the Halo is the "drum" for you. The sound is deeper as the sound from Bell. The Halo is bigger.
I also dont know if it is right to call the Halo a "drum". If you search on youtube for "Halodrum" you find results where a lot of early Halo players call their Halo a Halodrum. Ask them, if they feel to play a drum.

So, if you search for a Hangdrum i could only please you to read the informations on Hangblog.
It is not only a question of a name. It is a question of "what is the Hang and what not?". What could the Hang do for you and what not?
There is much more sound inside the Hang as you be able to explore if you use the Hang as a Hangdrum. It seems, that a few Hangplayers like the "drum" inside the Hang. You find this videos also on youtube. But this is only one aspect from the Hang.

The world is full of nice drums. I like it. I played on drumset a lot of years. My hands search for percussion all day long. For that you dont need the Hang.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:30 am

Funky wrote:
Nervosa wrote:
Ha, and i joined the waitlist for Halo too, they don'T produce anymore till spring 2010, so they should restart soon.

This is not correct. They build at the moment the Halos for the 250 people who are on the production list and payed last year a down-payment.
It seems, that they need longer as they thougt at the beginning for this batch.

Funky has it! Halos are being built and going out now every week; right now Pantheon is working through the second half of their first 250 orders. New orders will be accepted later this year, probably in late spring.

As a Hang player and Halo player I would agree with Saggio, both are quite different experiences which are both very rewarding. I truly love them both, and find they can in fact work together quite harmoniously.

After playing both for a long time now (I have Halo #7 and have had it many many months now) I have become much more aware of how unique and remarkable the Hang is. It is more delicate, responsive, and as many have noted, sounds magically unlike an instrument of singing steel. Or rather, the way it sings demonstrates that my commonplace notions of what can be done with steel have always been too limited by never hearing it properly worked and formed...I am really eager to hear a Free Integral Hang when I can; I anticipate that it will once again raise the bar on what is possible in this form. I hope that someday I get to play one!

Pantheon does not refer to the Halo as a drum, but it definitely reveals itself to the player as a more percussive instrument than the Hang. For one thing, there is a wider array of percussive textures 'under the hand' than on my second-generation Hang, which is very blossoming and "Hang-like." It is possible to play delicately on a Halo, but I think that like the Hang a certain relationship is encouraged -- and on the Halo that is more percussive than on the Hang. My hands move faster on the Halo, when I do not pay attention -- not because there is a lack of sustain, but something in the timbre pulls out a faster tempo. I find playing the Halo is less meditative, but just as engrossing.

If you haven't heard the demonstrations on the Pantheon Scales page, you may be surprised at how good some of the newer samples sound. They were recorded by Kyle himself using reasonable quality mics. It helps that the Halo is always becoming more refined and nuanced as Kyle learns more about the Halos's geometry, and evolves the tunings that are most appropriate to the instrument in its current form.

It is important listening to Halo recording to use something better than leptop speakers! Most of the energy in the Halo is too low to be reproduced by small speakers, so you end up having a very exaggerated sense of the percussive texture (which is indeed more steel-like) than ever emerges "live." If you listen with good headphones or speakers you will hear what I mean. Some of my favorite recent samples are the Limoncello, Mixophonic, Hijaz, and Kumo recordings... the second half of the Hijaz really gets into the percussive territory exposed with the Halo on its side :)

Oh and the Big Bear one, I just posted that today (I'm helping Kyle out as a "Halo Helper" ;) ).

best,
aaron

:: three cheers for singing steel! ::

Jump to: