Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » Members Introduction - Mitglieder Vorstellung

Post subject: Gday ~~~ Craig
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi guys just joined the forum , I perform in a group in Australia playing African rhythms and also we play Hang . Our group has 5 first gen Hangs and 1 Integral Hang (delivered this year ) . I wrote a letter to Felix and Sabina earlier this year to purchase a Hang as i can only borrow other peoples , and a month ago i recieved an e-mail inviting me to send another letter to apply to be chosen to own a Free Integral Hang . As you can imagine i was so excited and felt sure that it was to be . However i just recieved an e-mail from HangHaus which said they could not commit to the sale as they had to many orders ... I have no idea if that means they will or won't call on me if one becomes available in the future ... Do i write again ? I'm so confused ... has anyone any opinion on what to do ? . Looking forward to spend time with you all .. peace .. Craig c

Post subject: Re: Gday ~~~ Craig
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Hallo Craig,

welcome in our community. :)

Yes, a lot of people got the same mail in the last days. To many people want to own the Free Integral Hang. Panart cant build so much.
You have luck, that in your group are a lot of Hanghang, and If I understand right, you can play on a borrowed Hang from time to time.

The main question for you is, if Panart call you in the future. Right?
A lot of people ask the same question in the forum and also in e-mails, i got the last days.
I personally think, that all people who got this e-mail, are not on a list for later calls.
To be sure, I had asked Panart and wait for an answer. I am very confident that I could post in the next days the answer on this question.

Greetings from Germany, the other side of the world.

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:29 pm

Welcome Craig!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:26 am

Greetings to you all .. thanx to funky & beatzekatze for your reply it softens the blow of not being accepted by the Hang makers,to know of the community you have built to support the passion of the Hang .. We have two Shang Diao , Pygmy , Integral Hang 09 , and i need to check on the others (will get back to you) ... After staying up to 2am reading the forum i am coming to an understanding that the instrument will be a test of patience and belief ..
Yes i am fortunate to play and perform with the hang as our group "Budaka" are close like family , so i will start again next year with a letter and stay true to my belief in Hang music ~~~~
Looking forward to more communication .
Our group can be seen on www.budaka.com.au
Ciao Craig c

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:53 am

I followed the link. Wow this is really great! I love the rhythm and the drums!

And it's good to see that you don't use the Hang as a drum, although you play all those drums in the group. You play the Hang very soft, the right way :-) All the Hanghang sound very nice together.

Good luck on your journey to your own Hang!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanx ,we respect the integrity of the instrument and the sound projected ... and wish to harmonize at all times with the voice of the Hang .... I guess that is why i feel that the Hang makers have a difficult position ,to choose who will receive Hang from just a letter ; I've read different articles on time frames and delivery times and can only feel the hardship with the balance of product and passion .
The scope of sound has only been brushed by the power of the Hang and it will be through passionate players that will give Hang success .... ciao Craig c

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Hallo,

I am now 100% sure, that people who got the refusal mail from Panart are not longer in any holding stack or a kind of waiting loop.

Let me say something about your Barduka project @Craig. Do you want the free Integral Hang to play it in this project?
Dont understand me wrong. I like and understand drum circels with dancing and a lot of fun. I played drums for a lot of years.
A lot of energy and power come from all the drums, djembes and so on. It is a experience for the collective. The drums go deep in the earth and the dancer and player could be in a kind of ecstasy. A powerfull experience, no question.

The Hang and special the new free integral Hang is an instrument for individuals. It is lost, in the context with a lot of Hanghang or drums.
I think that the Hang is more and more a tool to "come down" and calming.
It is a key to the inner world of the player, if he play the Hang in peace.
Yes, maybe it could make fun to play Hanghang with a lot of other Hanghang and instruments. Session time... Again! This is not bad, but I think it is a lot of energy remain without effect.
The Steelpan is an instrument for the collective. Panart left the Steelpan way behind with the Hang and with the free integral Hang they are far , far away from the Steelpan, Drumcircle , Session, ... way.

This is only my opinion.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks Funky. My english isn't good enough to write it this way, but these are my thoughts too. The free integral Hang is something to "come down" and calming.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:35 am

Nicely said .. I understand the words and meaning of what you say ,as music for me no matter what i play (djembe , conga's , Hang , kalimba ) has to touch me inside to reward the effort and from that the healing begins . I am confused though why the Free Integral Hang (which still has to be heard! ) needs isolation from other sounds to give it's best .
I trust the Hang makers skills without the need of digital reference so i"m sure the new direction is a good one , i just feel that music is the greatest gift we can give to eachother so let's not isolate the FIH too soon . Though we (Budaka) perform with drums with ryhthms from africa our Hang playing is totally different and played with respect and love for the creation .
As i agree totally the Hang is NOT a drum .
Merry Xmas to you all ~~

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:09 am

Hi Craig,

With 'Gday' as your intro it wasn't too difficult to work out where you're from!

I'm based on the Sunshine Coast and have an integral hang. I have only once come across another hang player in Australia (face to face at least) and that was only for about 10 minutes at the markets. Happy to connect with any others.

My partner (Sahayak) and I perform as samjjana and we will be down at the Gold Coast for a number of events at the end of January. Would be good to connect...?

While we were in Costa Rica we did a concert that included a guy with another integral hang - it was magic to play the two of them together (the only other time I've been able to play with another hang player was in Portugal for a few weeks, though that was a 2nd generation Egyptian scale). Would love to do that again, plus explore any other hanghang.

For your interest, our website is http://samjjana.com/ and our YouTube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/samjjana1 (in amongst a range of videos both with and withoout the hang, see 'Hang duo with Tapado' which almost qualifies as a trio!- and there is also one where Tapado and I are playing my hang together, called 'Harmony Concert - Carlos Tapado Vargas and Maia')

Sahayak was on the waiting list for a hang (since September '08) and got a 'no' email too. We are at peace with it, as we honour and accept the choices Felix and Sabina make. Some dear friends of mine who also got a 'no' are also very respectful of the process Felix and Sabina have gone through and honour and accept their decision. We all appreciate how difficult and challenging it must be for them, and we know it weighs heavily on them (Sahayak and I discussed it with them when we visited the hanghaus last year).

Anyway, hope to catch up with you folks in the near future!
:D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Gday Samjjana it would be a pleasure to catch up with you , our group "Budaka" mostly reside on Beechmont Mountain in the gold coast hinterland and if you can give me a date when you are around this way i can get in touch with you and arrange a meeting/jam/welcome to the mountain . There are 6 Hangs of various tunings so it should make for a creative atmosphere of sound . Of which i believe the Hang was made for "creativity" ... Oh by the way we will be away from Jan 23rd to 26th on a drum camp at Lennox Head with Rhythm Konnections .. i hope we don't miss you , otherwise maybe the group could make a road trip north ? ciao Craig .c

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi again,

We'll be performing at Health Harmony Soul Expo (Gold Coast) 22-24 January and then we'll be back for Night of Light 29 January. Then 30 January we'll be in Jimboomba (to run a sound workshop) and on 31 January I think Logan area (performing at a Pagan Festival).

Schedule is fairly heavy but I'd like us to come down the day before the expo (Thursday 21) so if we do that, the Thursday night would be good. We're just trying to find some budget (preferably conscious) accommodation so whether we come down Thursday may depend on that a bit.

Alternatively, we are staying with a great community (Bellbunya.org.au) on the Sunny Coast and they have a wonderful space here that you would probably all enjoy. They also have a music night once a month, but if not a suitable date, we can create a spontaneous one any time. They have rooms, plus camping for a budget option, a nice fire pit and a fantastic big hall.

Any which way, sounds like fun!
Cheers,
Maia

Jump to: