Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: Re: Response on the new Panart publication on the internet.
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:47 pm

epa wrote:
Since you know them, then please ask them why the notes in early Hanghang have noticeable wrinkles in the steel around the domes.

Because you have never seen a Hang, I think you have seen this on a photo. Please post this photo that I can understand what you mean with this wrinkles.

epa wrote:
What I have written at handpan.org is only the beginning of what I have learned. I have not published all of it, because I wish to pursue empirical evidence first. But what I have written is evidence of my claims. And if you doubt me, then ask Felix and Sabina what they think of my writing on handpan.org and what I have written here. The science and phenomena of the Hang is much more than the science and phenomena just pertaining to the Hang. There is a wealth of knowledge regarding idiophones both ancient and young and the science of architecture that they drew from and incorporated in the Hang. And I know to a large extent what they have done. But don't take my word for it. Go ahead, ask them. Again, if they are honest in their answers, then I need not defend myself.

Yeah, you are a smart guy. But you are not a Hang player. You never listened to a Hang in real life. You disagreed to some important statements a made on the basis of concrete Hang playing experience for over five years. To say you have a deep understanding of the acoustic science and phenomena of the Hang is a bold statement without haven't ever listened to a Hang. You don't know these phenomena. Nobody can know them without using his ears.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 12:08 am

Michael Paschko wrote:
Because you have never seen a Hang, I think you have seen this on a photo. Please post this photo that I can understand what you mean with this wrinkles.

Yeah, you are a smart guy. But you are not a Hang player. You never listened to a Hang in real life. You disagreed to some important statements a made on the basis of concrete Hang playing experience for over five years. To say you have a deep understanding of the acoustic science and phenomena of the Hang is a bold statement without haven't ever listened to a Hang. You don't know these phenomena. Nobody can know them without using his ears.

Michael

You know full well what I'm talking about. And I won't waste my time any further finding a photo for you or debating these issues with you. Yes I've seen it in photos, but I also happen to know about the wrinkling from personal experience and its subsequent instability and I know the solution to eliminating it. I also know how to apply the scientific principles that they have used.

Feel free to accuse me of whatever you wish. We will apparently never agree. So we are done.

And I will leave it to you and any other member of this forum as to whether you want to know the truth from Felix and Sabina.

If you want the truth, then go ahead, ask them.

Eric

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:59 am

Michael Paschko wrote:
Michael

For the record, I never said I had a deep understanding. I said I had a much deeper understanding than I had indicated.

I also never claimed to be a Hang player or an expert on the Hang. However I have extensive knowledge regarding the acoustic science and phenomena of the Hang.

But finally, this topic was about why people are focused on their statements about tuning. So why don't you just ask Felix and Sabina?

Peace to you and goodbye.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:14 am

epa wrote:
You know full well what I'm talking about. And I won't waste my time any further finding a photo for you or debating these issues with you.

Are you interested in a construcktive discussion or not?

No I haven't any clue what you mean with "wrinkles" around the domes. And I'm unsure in which meaning you have used it. My English German dictionary gives me a number of meanings: Falte, Kniff, Knitter, Quetschfalte, Runzel. And what is an early Hang? 2001? 2003? 2005? I don't know where I have to look for what. Perhaps you mean the border around the tone fields of very old Hanghang? But they are not around the dome but around the tone field. My Hang from 2005 has nothing around the domes that I would call wrinkle.

Why do you tell me about secret knowledge you have but never come to the concrete? If there is something to talk about put it on the table.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:23 am

Hello,

I am also not kwow, what you mean with "wrinkles". I have seen a lot of very early Hanghang. And I played a lot.
Very Early Hanghang have little spot? pimple? bump? (... I dont find a good englisch word. I hope you know what I mean.) in the center of the tone field.
This was a mark from the tools Panart used a this time.

But I will ask the Hangmakers. Maybe they have a idea what you mean.
For sure the Hangmakers learned something on their way. They changed details over the time.
But there where never a problem with steadiness of the tuning.
I remember, that the Hang is not Panarts first project. They worked for years with nitrided steel, before they made the first Hang.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Michael Paschko wrote:

There is another important aspect in this discussion:

The instrument makers of the new similar looking instruments like Halo, Bells, Spacedrum, Bali Steelpan Handpan, Caisa, disco armonico, SPB... didn't develop their instruments based on the Hang concept. They use different materials, geometries and tuning techniques based on traditional steelpan tuning or other ideas. Kyle Cox for example stated from the beginning that he doesn't develop a musical instrument that will stay in tune. He stated very clearly that the Halo will detune. Therefor "Staying in tune" is not an aspect of the concept of these instruments. Therefor we have to differentiate between the discussion on the detuning of the so called Handpans and the discussion on the stability of the tuning of the Hang.

Michael

First, I think it really depends on how one defines the "Hang concept." In some aspects, yes, but in some aspects, no. If you are saying an instrument that NEVER needs tuning unless it has suffered some accident, I would say that that is an evolution in viewpoint and position from PANArt. Yes, the Hang booklet of 2008 did state that the Hang holds its tuning. But it has taken them 10 years to move to a policy of no longer retuning their creations, as was state in “The Call of Iron.”

I would also like to point out that Kyle's expectations about whether the Halo will stay in tune or not has changed somewhat based on empirical evidence. Yes, it was his initial expectation that a Halo would need to be periodically retuned to sound its best. He examined my Halo after I had owned it more than a year and determined that it didn’t need any retuning. (He had his hammers with him, and didn’t even take them out. He did tune some other handpans that had tuning issues at that time.) The Halo is made of thicker steel than a Hang, and it can tolerate significantly more force before distorting. Who knows, maybe in 8 more years, Kyle will determine that only Halos that have been mistreated will require a retuning.

Finally, regarding integrating the Gu and Ding, I find it to be a noticeable, but very subtle difference. And one’s playing position to do so can be a challenge to find and maintain for some players. I have experimented with a number of listeners, and many of them could not hear any difference that they could describe (between partially covering the Gu and not). Many players do not integrate Gu and Ding when they play, but for many listeners, the Hang still has a magical and captivating sound (as evidenced by the overwhelming number of requests for a Hang).

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:42 am

I've been reading this thread with interest. I've had many thoughts but I'm not sure yet which ones to share! When I sort my head out, I'll be back... :mrgreen:

Jump to: