Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: FIH inspired instrument
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:58 am

Saw a new instrument on internet. A friend shared a link and wrote in the mail a Free Integral Hang.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... _500wt_949

The ding seems inspired BY a Free hang ( the colour of the instrument is also very dark :mrgreen:

Its called a Alien Hand Pan. The Gu side is closed.

video link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE5LU9uNsOM

Post subject: Re: FIH inspired instrument
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:11 pm

This is not new. It is the "instrument" of a Hang faker from Colombia called Hernan Gomez. He has many names for it. "Hangdrum US", "Hernan Drum" and now "Alien".

The Quality is very bad. I would pay 50 $ maximum for it.

This has nothing to do with the Free Integral Hang.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Michael Paschko wrote:
I would pay 50 $ maximum for it.

You would pay 50 $. ?

You must pay me 50 $ if i should store this peace of "scrap metal" for you. :mrgreen:

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Michael Paschko wrote:
This is not new. It is the "instrument" of a Hang faker from Colombia called Hernan Gomez. He has many names for it. "Hangdrum US", "Hernan Drum" and now "Alien".

The Quality is very bad. I would pay 50 $ maximum for it.

This has nothing to do with the Free Integral Hang.

Oh i did not know its the same Hernan Drum... :!: :!: :!: :!: no wonder its called Alien Drum now :lol: :lol:

Well nothing has anything to do with Free Integral Hang except the Free Integral Hang :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Frank Sturm wrote:
Michael Paschko wrote:

You would pay 50 $. ?

You must pay me 50 $ if i should store this peace of "scrap metal" for you. :mrgreen:

Frank

I meant 50 $ inclusive shipping costs.
You can make a nice wine bottle stand out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:42 am

Michael Paschko wrote:
Frank Sturm wrote:
Michael Paschko wrote:

You would pay 50 $. ?

Frank

I meant 50 $ inclusive shipping costs.
You can make a nice wine bottle stand out of it.

But the Gu side is also closed. Won't make a wine bottle stand too... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:30 am

I'm a little surprised at the ridicule I read here - especially from an enlightened forum.

To be fair, the Hernan handpans have come quite a long ways since their inception. They actually have a nice sound now. It is a far cry from a wine rack.

In the beginning it was not so.

I am open to all who try their hand at this generously shared creation. A big thanks to Felix and Sabina for sharing their findings on metal properties, form, and tunings. The world is a better place for their sharing.

This guy will only get better - give him a little slack. (or bash him... however you see fit)

-greenoak :|

As you feed on men and things, so they feed upon you. Be wholesome food to others if you would not be poisoned.
--- Mikhail Naimy ---

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:35 pm

greenoak wrote:
I am open to all who try their hand at this generously shared creation. A big thanks to Felix and Sabina for sharing their findings on metal properties, form, and tunings. The world is a better place for their sharing.

No, greenoak! This is not an acceptable point of view. Trying his hand at a generously shared creation? Bullshit! This man is a faker. This is money making and nothing else. Listen to the poor sound of the video. And have a look at the price: This man sells this poor sounding instrument for 1500 $. This is the price the Integral Hang was sold for. And look at this Free Integral Hang Ding imitation. For what is this good for? For the sound? Listen to the video: There is no sound coming out of this Ding fake.

Do you know why this instrument is called "Alien Hand Pan Drum" on eBay? Their is a single and easy to understand reason: Any single eBay listing of Hernan Gomez using the trademark Hang, was deleted on the request of PANArt because of trademark infringement. And there were many attempts in the last months to use the name Hang in eBay listings. So he decided to use another name as he wants to use. The name he really use for his "instrument" you can see, when you have a look at http://www.hangdrum.us

Are you still "open"?

And now try http://www.hernandrum.com

Do you now understand?

This man wants to infringe PANArt's trademark to make money.

And now visit http://www.hernandrum.mex.tl/?stf=1
Probably he has a little side business grabbing the login data of his visitors. :(

I have zero tolerance for this Hang fake. This "instrument" uses nothing of PANArt's "findings on metal properties, form, and tunings" you have so "big thanks" for. Only the Hang name and the Hang form is used to make money.

You should think very carefully about this question: Is it fair to use PANArt's form to make an instrument that only looks like a Hang but has nothing of the material and physical functions of a Hang and to sell this for the same price as the Integral Hang, an instrument the Hang makers worked 15 years and invested a lot of money for to develop it? And is it fair to betray the buyers with an instrument that is named like a Hang and looks like a Hang and costs the same like a Hang, but doesn't function and sound like a Hang?

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Quote:
No, greenoak! This is not an acceptable point of view. Trying his hand at a generously shared creation? Bullshit! This man is a faker. This is money making and nothing else. Listen to the poor sound of the video.

I listened two or three times. They are a lot better than a couple years ago.

It's not great. I would not buy it - but to each his own.

PANArt told everyone how to make these things. Why are you so much in a huff?

Since there is no war on handpans, it should not make a difference.

As you feed on men and things, so they feed upon you. Be wholesome food to others if you would not be poisoned.
--- Mikhail Naimy ---

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:24 pm

greenoak wrote:
I listened two or three times. They are a lot better than a couple years ago.

It's not great. I would not buy it - but to each his own.

PANArt told everyone how to make these things. Why are you so much in a huff?

Since there is no war on handpans, it should not make a difference.

I'm not in a huff. I ask me why you don't deal with the question I asked you. Is it fair what this man does?

By the way, PANArt didn't told everyone "how to make these things". There are scientific papers showing some information about Steelpan and Hang building and tuning. This was not an invitation to fake a Hang and it was not an invitation to infringe PANArt's trademark.

PANArt wouldn't say anything if someone really tries to build a quality instrument and therefor really studies PANArt's work. Someone who is not eager for the quick money. Someone who know that it is not correct to sell his preparatory studies for 1500$.

This is not a question of taste. It is a question of quality. Selling bad quality for high prices is betraying the buyers. And selling bad quality that looks like a well known high quality instrument is betraying the buyers too.

You should inform yourself about the Steelpan in Trinidad. About the quality instruments made by the master tuners and the low quality stuff quickly made and sold expensive to the tourists or exported in foreign countries. No Trinidadian master tuner would accept if someone fakes his instruments. And PANArt doesn't too. Learn about Trinidad and you will understand PANArt better.

But in this special case only common sense is necessary to understand that it is not ok what this man does. Therefor I really don't understand why you defend him. As people who are able to distinguish the qualities of instruments we should warn the newbies. This is a question of responsibility not a question of taste.

It is as I wrote in my first statement: Buyers shouldn't pay more than 50$ for this. Would you pay 1500$ for this? Or another question: If you was the owner of this instrument, would you let someone pay 1500$ for this to you? Could you sleep well after you did it?

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Pretty hostile response. Accuse me of dodging questions. Using inappropriate language. I'm just trying to look at it from another point of view - one you seem to not agree with. I don't think there is one side to every story.

So to your question: Is is fair? I don't know. I'm not in the business. I'm just a player. I can't judge sincerity. I can't judge motivation. I'm not defending the guy. I'm just not attacking him. There is a difference.

There are a lot of things that are not fair in a world wide market place. Let the buyers and sellers beware and all that. I make informed decisions. I can read.

I'm sure others can too.

--- Mikhail Naimy ---

Jump to: