Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: Anybody Here?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:16 am

Extremely Inactive Forum Lately.

:cry:

Thought I would say hello. Keep in touch.

I'm still very excited about receiving an invitation to select my Hang. I'm anxious to send in my next letter sometime this fall as some of you may know from my other posts.

Does anyone know of any Hang gatherings or event in the U.S. or Eastern Canada open to non-Hang owners?

Be Well,

Mowgli

Post subject: Re: Anybody Here?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:06 am

Hi Mowgli,

It would be great to be able to speak German, then it would be very active!

I tend to be really busy with an endless 'to do' list that never seems to reduce in length, no matter how much I do or how hard I work - so just every now and again I pop on here for a look see. After a long time not going on the other forum, I ended up joining it to see how that would go (given it was so quiet on here), but really, I've realised it all chews up so much time (Facebook too!)

As much as I love the idea of forums for connecting with people and sharing info/ideas etc, (side-stepping the messy stuff of course!) really it requires more time at the computer than is good for me. I already have to be at the computer for so much of my work, my body is not happy!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:13 am

Hi,

yes, at the moment the forum is more quiet. The majority of members are from europe. And in europe is summer. I think people enjoy the sun and the summer.
This is likely one reason. The other is, that we have a very special topic. Panart Hang.
There are not so many Hangplayers in the world and the most, are not interested in online communication.
I see this forum, as a chance to connect other people and stay in touch. This works very well.
On the other hand, there are much people who read this forum. A lot of are searching for informations about the Hang.
They will find out, that this forum is in in close contact to http://www.hanghang.info and http://www.hangblog.org.
And on this websites, they could find all informations about the Panart Hang. Only a few people like it, to talk with other people. So, here is a place for that.
If their are open questions, after reading Hangblog, they could ask and they will got an answer within a short time.

By the way. I read your question about a Hang stand and the problem with the Gu-Ding on Handpan . org , Maia. You got a lot of answers. That is the good part of lot activity. And now?
I read, that you ask for a way to "emulate" your leg, while playing on a stand.
The only answer, you got on this question is from a well known member. The most people will think, "yes" this must be a good solution.
But here we have a technical question. It is not a question about opinions or views. It is only physic and there is a right and wrong answer.
The answer you got is absolute wrong.

Panart has sold the Dum with a first generation Hanghang. There you have another "Ding" as on your Hang and all other Hanghang made after the year 2006.
The Dum is a peace of wood. You can change the Helmholtz resonance because it change the neck of the Gu. (the resonance is a fifth lower, if you use the Dum)
If you use this "Dum" on your Hang, you will change the Helmholtz resonance also. But you will end with a to deep resonance. You will have a B2 on you Hang, if you use the Dum. And this is not what you need and want.
Because your Ding is a D3 , you need to change the Helmholtz to D2. And then you have the full sound potential of your Hang. There must be one octave between Gu and Ding.
So, the Dum is not your solution.

I understand, that you have problems to play the Hang on your lap. I dont know how it should work to integrate Ding and Gu in your playing, if you use a stand. A lot of Hangplayers are wondering, why the Hang sounds sometimes so "rich" and "full" and on other days not. At the beginning of my time with the Hang, i dont know anything about Gu-Ding resonance and the effect of the Hang sound. I only wondered, why the Hang sound was sometimes, so unbelievable "full".
Today i know, that this has to do with the way, i have the Hang on my lap and with the angle of my legs.
Maybe it is possible, to emulate this with a stand. I dont know. The Hang is perfect made for the lap and I am happy, that i have no health problem, to use it in this way.
I hope you find a good way for your playing. If you use only a snare stand, or something else, your hang will sound nice. But you will loose a lot of energy and power.
If you dont hear it by yourself, have a look to your audience and remember those people, who feel the sound. And see, what change after you use a stand.

I am fine, with a forum, with not so much small talk. It needs a lot of time to read every day so much topics. Personally i prefer quality. Some people like it to be on facebook and to have 1532 friends. I prefer it to have a few friends. (Ups, i have no facebook account. Buaaahhhhhh...... i have no friends......... ;-) )

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:32 am

Thank you Frank,

I asked the question on the other forum simply because it is more active. This forum may not be so active (at least in English) but the information is top quality :o) Your info has been, as always, helpful and knowledgeable. I appreciate it. From your answer, I have the understanding that there really is no simple way to emmulate the leg. I thought it was worth asking!

I really want to honour the hang and the way the integral hang has been designed. When I play hang as instrumental I can still sit, and I will do that. In respect for the hang I did persist a long time with singing while sitting. I am willing to continue to explore ways to sing better while sitting, but until I can get my singing to sound as good sitting as it currently is when standing, I will stand. I will happily post an update on any forum anywhere if I have a breakthrough! Maybe I would even shout it from the rooftops I would be so happy :o)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:34 am

Oops! Those are supposed to be smiling faces, but I used the wrong characters (I forgot about the smilies on the left!!!) ...but it's all good now, I've found them again :lol:

Jump to: