Board index » Foyer » English

Post subject: The idea of getting a FIH seems very strange to me
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm

The idea of getting a FIH out of the PANArt process seems very strange to me. Not really because of the contract or the crazy price, but because you had to pick up yours, the one that appealed to you, so the idea of buying just any FIH is absurd. Still, it also meant that you could never experience what the FIH before you get your own. Maybe that's why I never tought of sending a letter : it's a matter of chicken and egg (and subsequently a matter of belief, in some way).

Post subject: Re: The idea of getting a FIH seems very strange to me
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:10 pm

broussel2 wrote:
The idea of getting a FIH out of the PANArt process seems very strange to me. Not really because of the contract or the crazy price, but because you had to pick up yours, the one that appealed to you, so the idea of buying just any FIH is absurd. Still, it also meant that you could never experience what the FIH before you get your own. Maybe that's why I never tought of sending a letter : it's a matter of chicken and egg (and subsequently a matter of belief, in some way).

It really seems to be the matter of chicken and egg on first sight. But I think the situation is not so complicated if you realize that there isn't a single one and only Hang that is for you. In fact you can be satisfied by the vast majority of all Free Hang ever built. In my point of view choosing the Hang is not important to find out the right one. It is the choosing process itself that is important. It is somewhat like an adoption: Choosing this Hang means that you are willing to deal with this individual instrument. It will remind you that it was you who chose it and not somebody else who is responsible and perhaps gave the wrong Hang to you. I think it is possible to be satisfied with a Hang that somebody else chose. But I suppose it is easier if you chose it yourself in times when you get in trouble with your Hang.

There is one important criteria to be considered in advance: If you want a Hang for a special need or function (personal, musical, therapeutical ...), the Free Hang is not the right instrument for you. You must be open minded and ready to deal with something new, unknown and unexpected. Also this is a bit like an adoption: If you already know how the child you want to adopt has to be (what it shall do do for you, what properties it has...) you will for certain get in trouble with it. Therefor the Free Hang is seldom a good choice for musicians, because musicians usually have specific requirements and musical interests.

But we shouldn't deepen this topic here, because it is off topic. If you like to discuss the topic more in depth an administrator can move these two posts to a new topic. Tell us, if you are interested.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Yes, good idea.

Last edited by AdminMichael on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The posts were moved to a new topic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:10 am

Quote:
The idea of getting a FIH seems very strange to me

I would restore the "out of the PANArt process" part in the title - otherwise its meaning completely changes ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:26 am

The whole sentence was to long for the title. Therefore I shortened it.
Suggest a short enough title you like and I will change it.

Jump to: