Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » Music, Video and Concerts » Hang music and video

Post subject: bumm , bumm, bäng, bumm, bumm,
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVe0xwD ... re=related

This was new for me.

Greetings
Frank

Last edited by Funky on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: ääähm tja, bumm , bumm, bäng, bumm, bumm,
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Funky wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVe0xwDK3I&feature=related

This was new for me.

Greetings
Frank

Really new, Frank? What is the difference to a "Christmas" CD?

Manu was a great musician. But I understand Felix more and more....

I make a big difference between an musician and people who played the Hang only with their heart. Without thinking of getting money.
I do not say that Manu is bad for the Hang. But I want to go other ways :)

MÖGEN ALLE WESEN GLÜCKLICH SEIN

Post subject: Re: bumm , bumm, bäng, bumm, bumm,
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi,

@Buddha. It was only a question of time, that the Hang sound, take part in this kind of music. It is a hypnotic music and the Hang could have a hypnotic sound. This together with a very simple , minimal phrase...
It works. I am sure, that this song will have a big succes. Music is a purely matter of taste. If you like this kind of music it is not bad made.
But I dont see the Hang in this context, too.
Some people called the Hang a "gift from heaven". Felix told me, that you cant be a great musician with the Hang. You can only be a good prayer. I think he has different things in mind.
Tomorrow i will go with my Hang on the streets. I dont know what kind of melodys come tomorrow out of me and my Hang. I play only for the moment.
House and Techno music is "computer music". You have a sequenzer and make a beat on the computer with Cubase. A few Hang samples copy and paste and ready is the new Techno Hit.
I like Manu Delago on Hang. He has a virtuous playing style. For me is computer music the direct opposite of that, what the Hang can do.
But music is a purely matter of taste.

Greetings
Frank

Post subject: Re: ääähm tja, bumm , bumm, bäng, bumm, bumm,
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:10 pm

BUDDHA wrote:
I make a big difference between an musician and people who played the Hang only with their heart. Without thinking of getting money.
I do not say that Manu is bad for the Hang. But I want to go other ways :)
What's stopping you? You can go any way you wish.

=)

If the Hang is truly an 'individual connection vehicle' what is wrong with each individual connecting the way they connect - some for money, some with electronica, some with busking, some with jazz combos, some with mallets, some with explosives?

If it is not an 'individual connection vehicle' then what is it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:10 pm

Electronica: ok - jazz combos: ok - explosives: ok - But MALLETS???? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:33 pm

And now the serious post:

GotHang wrote:
If the Hang is truly an 'individual connection vehicle' what is wrong with each individual connecting the way they connect

I think you are right. There is nothing wrong. I think "wrong" is here a false category because it is a moral term (wrong vs. right).

I think it's a question if someone uses the Hang only in a certain way wether he avails himself of the whole capacity of the Hang.

So if someone plays the Hang only with mallets he will miss 90% of the capacity of the Hang. Or if someone plays the Hang only in a combo and not alone he will miss a broad spectrum of Hang sounds. Or - to refer to the introducing post: If you only know the the "Timo Garcia ft Manu Delago" track and never heard "Made in silence" you miss a lot of musical experience and don't really know the Hang or what Manu Delago makes with the Hang.

Ix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:45 pm

How about gloves :x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:03 am

Ixkeys wrote:
I think you are right. There is nothing wrong. I think "wrong" is here a false category because it is a moral term (wrong vs. right).

I think it's a question if someone uses the Hang only in a certain way wether he avails himself of the whole capacity of the Hang.

So if someone plays the Hang only with mallets he will miss 90% of the capacity of the Hang. Or if someone plays the Hang only in a combo and not alone he will miss a broad spectrum of Hang sounds. Or - to refer to the introducing post: If you only know the the "Timo Garcia ft Manu Delago" track and never heard "Made in silence" you miss a lot of musical experience and don't really know the Hang or what Manu Delago makes with the Hang.
I think we're in agreement.

I watched another video with two Hanghang in South Africa, and the players were using heavy and hard hands with them, the resulting sound was leaning towards the steel pan. Nothing 'wrong' with it from a ethical/moral/judgmental standpoint, but not to my tastes. That being said, I'm not all soft and spiritual. Watching Manu with Handmade live he is not gentle with his Hanghang, but his understanding of the potentials give him the capacity to push the limits in ways that I find enjoyable. I like at least a hint of refinement and connection to shine through the playing. This is my preference, and in no way a requirement for all Hang owners.

That being said, I'll happily chime in and ask if a player has explored the gentle touch and listening hands to see what opportunities are there for them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Watching Manu and considering the number of his performances, I wonder how often he has to have his hanghang tuned. My experience is that when a hang is out of tune, the player has to work harder to bring out the tone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:10 pm

I hope Manu knows how to treat his Hanghang, so that he don't need retunings.

Ix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:35 pm

I think Manu mentioned that he gets them re-tuned yearly. Using the Hang as a professional musician with other instruments it is more important to keep it in tune at 440 than when one is doing personal sonic exploration.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi,

last year I ask Manu, if he fear to detune his Hanghang because of his playing style. His answer was, that he ever fear the Hang goes out of tune, because of the airplane transport of his Hanghang. Nof because of the playing.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:14 am

Thanks for the responses. :)

Watching Manu live-in-concert gives me the courage to explore my own Hang's potential and "push the limit" a little further.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:57 pm

:D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:03 pm

I would be curious and very interested to hear more about the hang going out of tune because of air travel...? It seems implausible but Manu must have his reasons for saying so. I have had my (integral) hang just over one year and it has the ding and one of the notes a bit out of tune, which is a disappointment and a surprise, because I have been as careful as I can be to respect Felix and Sabina's advice about how to preserve the tuning. We have done a lot of air travel though, as we have been on these overseas travels since September last year. We have always had the hang with us as carry on hand luggage (the only way I would let them put it with the checked through luggage is if I went with it into the hold!)

Anyway, it brings me a challenge...to have the hang re-tuned I have to risk sending it internationally in the post (more air travel!), and also be without it for some time, which is a challenge to contemplate because it feels like the same as cutting an arm off...I feel like I couldn't be without it. (It is an addiction I am happy to have!)

So, for the moment I play it as it is. It still sounds great and people respond well to it, so I can accept to a certain degree the slightly off tuning. I have a good musical ear and it doesn't disturb me so that is at least something. I also didn't have anyone who listened to the recent YouTube videos comment on the tuning, so that is also a good sign!

Happy hangin' ...
:)

I imagine this is a predicament others have to face as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Hey Sounds Like Me,

You raised the question of gloves...

When I was at the hanghaus Sabina told me they ideally prefer hand direct on the hang rather than gloves, as the sound of the contact of hand to metal is the intention. However, I shared with her that in cold weather it is too painful for me to have my hands directly on the hang and I must use gloves...which she could understand. (Fortunately I live in a climate where it is mostly warm so I rarely have to do it).

What I have found though, is different gloves give very different sounds. Some of them I actually like. A light cotton pair only makes a subtle difference but doesn't appeal to me. A fake suede pair of gloves worked quite well and I would have been happy to continue with those....but I lost them in Spain :cry: so I bought a pair that was a furry, soft (fake) material and for the hang they are terrible...very muffled and deadening the sound. I tried them a few times and I can't stand to use them again. I will look for another pair next time I am in a cold climate, and when I do, I was thinking real leather or suede (especially fine, thin leather) would probably be best because it is skin. If that doesn't work then I will look for another pair of fake suede.

If anyone else has any good experience with any type of gloves I would be happy to hear of it.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:29 pm

samjjana wrote:
Hey Sounds Like Me,

When I was at the hanghaus Sabina told me they ideally prefer hand direct on the hang rather than gloves, as the sound of the contact of hand to metal is the intention.

Yes I know, this is a bit of a ongoing joke from me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:25 pm

samjjana wrote:
I would be curious and very interested to hear more about the hang going out of tune because of air travel...?

Hi,

i think if you have only one Hang and take it with you as hand luggage in the cabin it is not a big problem. But Manu has few Hanghang if he travel. I think he must check in the Hang and this is why he fear that the Hang go out of tune. If you check in an item you dont know what the stuff from the airport do with it. For checkin you need a special hard case. I cant imagine my Hang on the assembly line from an airport and later under lot of bags in the cargo hold of the airplane.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Sounds-Like-Me wrote:
samjjana wrote:
Hey Sounds Like Me,

When I was at the hanghaus Sabina told me they ideally prefer hand direct on the hang rather than gloves, as the sound of the contact of hand to metal is the intention.

Yes I know, this is a bit of a ongoing joke from me :mrgreen:

Hi,

yes, this is a running gag. :)

@Samjjana

A few Hang players have experience with gloves. Maybe a good idea to ask in a special topic. Here under the bumm, buumm, bäng videos people who can share this experience maybe not find your question.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:28 pm

Okay, thanks, I have posted the glove thing elsewhere - thanks for bringing my awareness to the running joke.

Also, sounds like the hang in the checked luggage is the issue regarding tuning, but I am still surprised because the case is very solid and I would have thought that the hang would be well protected inside it? There is evenn a little bit or room in the latest case to add some bubble wrap. And then there is the new back pack for the hard case to go in and then there is more room for bubble wrap. Having said that, I have heard some horror stories about precious instruments being wrecked when checked through, even in good protective cases - though they are things like cellos etc that are wood and therefore more vulnerable.

I actually wondered if is has anything to do with the air pressure, which is stable in the cabin, but the hold is a totally different story. But then again, it is steel!

Jump to: