Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » Music, Video and Concerts » Hang music and video

Post subject: samjjana - hang + harp, flute, piano, didge, sfx, voice
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:11 am

Hey hangsters,

Our 'A Celebration of Harmony' concert was a wonderful experience (for all the musicians and I assume the audience seeing as we received a standing ovation :) )

There were six of us on stage - aside from myself (hang and sansula) and Sahayak (Native American flutes) there was the wonderful pianist and harpist, Manuel Obregon, wonderful percussionist Carlos 'Tapado' Vargas, as well as Marianela Ortiz (great voice) and Juan Pablo Barahona (great didge playing).

It was a blast combining all the instruments. Here is a link to our YouTube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/samjjana1

You'll find videos like 'Devananda' where we are all playing together, and also hang and flute (featured video), hang and harp (with whales and dolphins), and hang duo, where I got to play the hang together with Tapado (incredible percussionist and very sensitive to and respectful of the hang). And while it doesn't have the hang in it, I really recommend the piano pieces.

Apologies for the video quality - we got help to get them onto YouTube and so it's the best we can do at this stage. Sound quality is fortunately fine - that's the main thing!

Enjoy! :D

Post subject: Re: samjjana - hang + harp, flute, piano, didge, sfx, voice
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:36 am

Hi Sammjana,

thank you for posting this. It is nice to listen you playing the Hang. Together with all the other musicians you make a nice and calming music.
I hope to hear more in the future.

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:15 am

Wow, some of this stuff is really lovely Samjjana!
I love the balance between your instruments, you guys seem to have a really strong sense of a slow build playing together, it's great to see musicians listening to each other and playing with subtlety to create more than the sum of the parts :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks guys, nice to hear you enjoyed them.

We had very little time together beforehand (sometimes only minutes to figure out a piece) so we had to be in total faith, and were often 'wingin it' on stage - it feels really beautiful to be in the flow together in the way we experienced it. It feels like there is something bigger than all of us going on - and we feel very blessed to be a part of it. We would like to share a stage with these musicians again, though we are now back in Australia and Costa Rica is a long way away, so it will be interesting to see how life unfolds from here. We also look forward to other musicians flowing into our sphere and whatever magic will come out of that. It's all such a joy!

Any ratings and/or comments anyone would like to make on the videos themselves would be much appreciated.

:D

Jump to: