Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » Music, Video and Concerts » Hang music and video

Post subject: Free Integral Hang
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:54 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xlHk3eM3bXY

Post subject: Re: Free Integral Hang
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Gothang, you seem to be the man who finds all Hang videos firstly ;-)

And this really seems to be the first Free Integral Hang that was published elsewhere.

It make me think about the use of Hang videos. Yes, we can see that Free Integral Hanghang really exist and that threre is somone who plays one. But what more can us tell this video?

The sound quality of the video is miles from what would be necessary to reasonably get an impression of the sound of a Free Integral Hang. Listening to the video I would say: What a shit sound! But I know, it is neither the player nor the Hang. It is the video that makes the shit.

What is the use of Hang videos? I assume there is a big motivation to show: Here I am! And I've gotten this nice instrument! More and more I come to the conclusion that we should resist the temptation to make videos and stay with the "roots", sharing our Hang experience in the personal way and add virtually only words. And I think that even words in forums without the personal experience will bring a lot of confusion and unsureness, maybe misunderstanding. So I think: Let's use the Internet potential mainly to link us and provide occasions to meet personally.

There are two points that can be taken from this video as thoughts for those who are new to the Hang (and regeldrei, don't understand this as critique but as friendly hint to open possibilities): Concern yourself with the connection of Gu and Ding described in the Hang Guide or in the Hanglexikon (for German speaking people - English translation will follow). And the second: Don't use your thumbs mainly in the beginning. I don't say this because I'm a dictator who wants to forbid something (as some people thought in the past) but because I remember at my own first months with the Hang: It's such a temptation to use the thumbs, because you think it provides a better sound. But if you only ore mainly use your thumbs your fingers will never learn to touch your Hang. They only can learn this by being used. After your fingers will have learned you will know that in most cases the fingers get the richer sound than the thumbs. The result of not letting learn one's fingers you can see at players like Ravid Goldschmidt who became virtuosic on the Hang but never learned to play it with the Fingers. Especial for the newer Hanghang they miss most of the possibilities of Hang playing.

Ix

Jump to: