Board index » Archive 03/2009-10/2010 » English » Let´s speak English » Hang Topics

Post subject: Important information about second-hand Hang sales.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:54 pm

Hallo,

from time to time people want to sell a Hang for a very high price.
It is important to know, that PANArt dont will tune or repair any Hang purchased or sold at a higher price than the original sales price.

PANArt is well-informed about the most Hang sales on Ebay or other internet market places and they know, in the majority of cases, the first owner of the Hang.
If you want to buy a second-hand Hang, the best way is to inform PANArt and let them check the Hang. Sign a contract with PANArt and you could be sure to play a very well balanced Hang for now and in the future.

It could happen that you have an accident with your Hang and it goes out of tune. In a few cases the seller is not honestly and you got an out of tune Hang. For example on Ebay...

I quote PANArt:

Quote:
We only tune hanghang from owners who have a signed contract with us..... We will not enter into any contract or agreement with owners who have – through speculation – purchased or sold a hang at a higher price than the original sales price.

You find this information in this letter from January 2010:
http://www.hangblog.org/hang-repair/

I hope I can help with this information, that not much more people, end with a out of tune Hang in front of a closed door at the Hanghouse.

Frank

Post subject: Re: Important information about second-hand Hang sales.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:35 pm

Good advice there Frank - too many people buy second hand Hang and they are out of tune, sad times for the buyer when they've parted with £3-£4,000 :(

One thing I am not clear on and it never got answered either - I received information that PANart no longer have the time to tune Hang that have also gone out of tune by jamming? (playing with other instruments) is this something that you or IX have also heard and can comment on?

Not that it affects me as I only ever play my Hang on its own around the fire, with friends listening or at home in the living room on my own. But many folk who come to the HangOut for example, like to play with other folk and create beautiful music with their Hang and other Hang players - I presume PANart can tell quickly if a Hang is out of tune from being hit too hard where people might be playing harder in order to sound louder over other players?

It's not generally something i've seen (people hitting hang to hard), but figured there must be a good enough reason for PANart to not have the time to tune these Hang or maybe its a reluctance to tune them as they have in all likelihood not been cared for in the way the Hang should be, just figured here was a good a place as any to ask the question.

Also regarding making money from the Hang, I get aftersales profit, selling a Hang for up to 20 times its original worth but i've often wondered what PANarts view on busking with the Hang or being a professional musician with the Hang is... people making money off the Hang and treating it as a percussion instrument? - I know the FIH is no longer seen as a Hang that can or should be played with other instruments, its the persons Hang where the player has a solo playing experience...?

Just my musings for the day.. as the weather warms up so is my thinking, just thought i'd throw those ones out there to see if anyone has an answer.

Regards,

Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi,

@Kelly,

the most Hanghang goes out of tune on an accident or to hard playing.
I can imagine, that Felix and Sabina speak with the player and show
him the limit of the Hang. I dont see any reason, why they dont should
tune a to hard played Hang.
Maybe if a player come a lot of time to the Hanghouse with the same
Hang with the words: "The Hang is again out of tune. I must play very
loud, because I am a busker and the city is so noisy...." or "I play
my Hang within the limit in a drumcircle, but I must play loud because
of the loud djembes..."
I think you know what I mean. If the player do this again and again, I
can imagine that PANArt dont have the time to tune a Hang, what is likely
next week again out of tune.

If you make money with the Hang because you are a musician or a busker, this is not a generally problem. I dont know , who tell something like that.
I say not a "generally" problem. I think personally that some buskers have a problem, if the build their whole life on the Hang playing.
I go in the streets from time to time with my Hang and play for the people. If I loose my Hang some day , It is not the end of my economic base.
For some people it could be the end of their "easy life" if they have not a second scheme of life.
I understand your question about that @Kelly. The same I ask myself two years ago and I asked Felix what they think about playing on the streets.
I think it is again only a question of "how and why?"

Greetings
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Thanks Frank for your long answer.
I play the hang in the streets too from time to time, not because I need the money. I'd like to bring some magic in the daily routine of the city. A smile from the people who listen to me is the best pay :)

If there is too much noise, I search for a quiet place to play the Hang.

Quote:
If I loose my Hang some day , It is not the end of my economic base.
Same here, but this day will be the worst day of my life. The Hang brings so much happiness in my life... Don't know what to do without it :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:23 am

Thanks Frank, it's kind of what i had figured, so to hear what I thought is what you also think then there is nothing to worry about.

Must be hard for PANart though to come into contact with so many Hang that have been damaged through bad playing... we've all seen them on YouTube hammering hell out of them, sad really when so many out there would love to give a Hang a home.

Hang adoption services that's what's needed, do you know of a battered Hang? there should be a helpline LOL :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:02 am

beatzekatze wrote:
If there is too much noise, I search for a quiet place to play the Hang.

I´ve seen your youtube vid of the "art of fusion" busking in Frankfurt.A very loud and busy place - so I prefer the "quiet places"!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:02 pm

bongo wrote:
I´ve seen your youtube vid of the "art of fusion" busking in Frankfurt.A very loud and busy place - so I prefer the "quiet places"!

It was very loud, but it wasn't my Hang ;) Frankfurt is a very loud and busy city and not my favourite place to play... Apart from that I'm afraid to visit this special city with my Hang.

Jump to: